Thursday 27 August 2009

Happy Snapper

I know that everybody says that their grandparents are the most lovely people in the world. There's the old thinking that everyone regards their friends parents as much nicer than their own, but will always valiantly stand by their gransparents as the most wonderful, kind people that they have ever met...perhaps not Elisabeth Fritzl's children, but I'm determined to keep this blog above board and pleasant so let's forget that.

However, my grandad was one of those rare breeds of men who couldn't help but be cool. He didn't look at all like other men his age, having kept all of his own bright white hair, which he'd keep slicked back; he used to always wear the coolest diamond ring I've ever seen; his shoes were 100% Italian leather at all times; and he had this rad Kangol fisherman-type hat, that he attached a feather brouch too, along with badges of various places he had visited in the world. He never lost his temper, really, apart from this one time where I was being a little shit and stole 50p out of my Grandma's purse to drop into one of those coin-drop, shelf charity box things (they look like a vertical version of a rubbish maze) and then called him a bastard - but I think that anyone would have lost their rag in much the same way. He, also, smoked like a rockstar, and used to polish off at least two packs a day, as well as drinking neat malt whiskey every night. Basically, he was super fly and I miss him terribly.

That's why I always like rummaging around in my Grandma's cluttered attic whenever I visit their house because, along with enjoying continuous waves of incredible nostalgia, it always gifts a treasure or two. This time, though, I really hit the jackpot. I asked my grandma whether she had any old camera's in the house, as I knew that she had recently received a brand new digital snapper, to accompany her new laptop, for christmas...they both now reside in another chest of drawers in her bungalow. She then produced this from a dusty wardrobe:



I think the model is an Olympus OM20 - though that is only what I can gather by looking at the side. It was one of the most beautiful sights I had ever seen. It came with this battery pack that looked like a robot limpet, but for the purpose of keeping the pictures more attractive, I removed said urchin. Look at the futuristic indian-looking strap - it looks like it was taken straight from Walks with Cloud's head dress whilst he was playing Rollerball with Jeff Bridges...just need to work out how to work the thing properly now!

No comments: