Thursday 6 August 2009

Photographers I like Vol. 2: Hedi Slimane






OK, so fashion photography, in general, is a bit lame. It just all seems a bit try hard in my eyes. There's a vain attempt to inject some soul/art into a skinny poser being made to pull sexy faces and cotort their body as if they have their toes in a cartoon plug socket, then some photoshop whizz smooths over every rough area in the photograph thus removing any real feeling from the photograph and making the model look like a glorified coat stand.

Alright, that's all a bit of an over exaggeration, but I'm just not that into posed photographs. However, that was until I came across some new stuff from this lady, Hedi Slimane, who is probably old news to fashion anoraks but a lovely morning delight for me! There just seems something raw to what she photographs and, other than the unmistakable gloss of the fashion photograph, there's a playful side to a lot of what she has tried to capture. I'm not into it all (the Jamie Hince collection is ridiculous), but this lot and some of the other's in her diary are real cool...









http://www.hedislimane.com/

No comments: