Tuesday 4 August 2009

Bungalow Hate: Stoned Love Letters To Imaginary Boyfriends




Best Coast sound like the culmination of a whole summer of teenage heartbreak, napping on floral throws and sharing strong weed. Formerly in Pocahaunted, Bethany Consentino now writes songs for her and Bobby Bruno to hang out and play. A mixture of coagulated guitars, pained vocals and 60's pop sensibilites make up an unmistakably Californian sound that sometimes feels like those warm waves of the Pacific are actually washing over you. Bethany is the fastest responder MySpace has ever registered, and here are some things that I asked her last night and were in my Inbox by this morning...

There’s two of you in the band, right? How did you get together?

Bethany: Bobb and I have been friends for years, and we worked together in my last band, Pocahaunted. When I started writing these songs, and recording them--I knew I needed a little help making them sound exactly the way I wanted them to, and I knew Bobb was the guy to go to. We just work really well together, and he totally gets it.

I know that this is probably pretty obvious, but what are the main influences for Best Coast?

The music is definitely influenced by a lot of 50s and 60s groups/artists. I have listened to oldies for most of my life, and when I moved to New York to go to college, I listened to that shit even more because it reminded me of California. Oldies just have this really awesome happy, sunny vibe to them--and I'm really inspired by that. I guess specifically, The Beach Boys and girl groups like The Ronettes, The Angels, and The Shangri-Las would be the biggest influences for me.

How would you describe the music you make?

Stoned love letters to imaginary boyfriends??? Haha, I don't know. In terms of the sound, I think it's just like a 60s-meets 90s total California stoner sound. I don't even know if that's a real sound, but that is how I imagine it to sound in my head, haha.

Blackest Rainbow have put your 7” out, how did that come about?

Blackest Rainbow actually put out a tape entitled 'Where The Boys Are." Joe, who runs the label had released a few things for my last band, and when he found out about this new project, he approached me and asked if I wanted to work with him again, and I of course said yes.

What is going to be your next release? Will you get around to putting together an album?

There are two releases in the works, both seven inches--one is coming out on this label Art Fag based out of San Diego, and the other is coming out on Group Tightener, a new label based out of Brooklyn. My seven inch is actually their debut release, which is really exciting. An album is definitely going to happen, Bobb and I are still in the process of mixing songs, and I'm still writing new ones like everyday. I'm not in a rush though, it'll happen when it happens.

What sort of shows have you been playing/what are your favourite kind of gigs?

We have been playing a ton of shows around LA lately, they've been really fun! It's weird to play shows before you even have any merch or anything to sell, haha. We've been playing a lot of shows with our friends band "Pearl Harbour." They are amazing California stoners too!

What records are you listening too at the moment?

I still pretty much only listen to oldies--but I guess lately I've also been listening to a lot of Nirvana. 'Bleach' is kind of like my favourite album at the moment. I also like seriously can not stop listening to Built to Spill, 'There's Nothing Wrong With Love.' That album just makes me feel like I'm 17 again, and I'm a huge sucker for nostalgia haha. And then of course, just so much Beach Boys and this awesome album called 'The Girls' Sound'-- it's this amazing comp. with a ton of 50s-60s girl groups on it--it seriously rules.

Why do you think that the lo – fi thing is kicking off so big in California?

I think the whole lo-fi thing kind of exudes this really laid back vibe, and people in California are just super laid back and mellow. There is also something that is just super warm and sunny feeling about lo-fi music, and duh--california is both of those things!

Which bands are you into the most in that scene?

I'm just really excited and into most of the shit that is coming out right now. I guess it's because I'm friends with a lot of the bands in this "scene"--so it's exciting for me to see them all succeed and do well--but also they're all just making fucking epic stuff!

Your music is pretty much sounds like it was written as a soundtrack to you guys getting stoned. Was that intentional?

I don't think it was so much intentional as it was inherent--I mean, I smoke a lot of weed, haha..so I guess the music I make is bound to have a 'stoney' vibe.

Published on: http://www.readplatform.com/bungalow-hate-interview-with-best-coast/

http://www.myspace.com/bestycoasty

No comments: